Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Drop the Mop?

Okay my bloggy friends, I desperately need your help. For about the past year I have been mopping with one of those sponge type mops. Something like this.

Well, it is disgusting and I can't stand it any longer, but I don't know where to turn. Things I hate about my current mop: 1). You cannot wash it, so it looks filthy and I feel like I'm just spreading around nastiness. I soak it in bleach water, but it still looks gross. 2). I doesn't ring out very well, so it makes the floor soaking wet. Okay, those are my two main beefs, so what I need are some suggestions! These are two things I've been thinking about. Tell me what you think.The Swiffer WetJet. I have a Pledge "Grab It" type thing which was good when we had wood floors, but I didn't feel like it was "deep cleaning" enough for the kitchen floor. It was more just like dusting the floor. Is this Swiffer WetJet any better? I've been thinking about one of those "string mops" because I think you can unscrew the stringy part and put it in the washing machine. However, then I'd have to get something to wring it out with. So herein lies my problem. I don't want to waste money on something that doesn't work. I can and do hand mop my floors, but come on...how often do we really want to do that. I refuse to hand mop more than once per week, so I need something for the in between times.

PLEASE lend me you expert advice. I know many of you are great clean freaks like myself, so pass on the knowledge. (PS, I cannot afford a Scoomba, or anything else that costs above about $40 bucks)!

9 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Kleanteeth said...

I have a Swiffer WetJet an dit's better than just dusting, but if you have vinyl with grooves, you're right, not deep enough. So every now and again I have to scrub it. I get those green scrubby pads, the cheap ones that are harsh, and put Ajax and some water on the floor and put my shoes on and use my feet. After you wipe up a couple times, then Swiffer it. Swiffer I like because you don't get the nasty mop effect. Hate the swiffer duster, though.

marcie said...

A paper towel and a shoe work great! ;)

Babbel Family said...

I have the wetjet and love it!

Suzie said...

funny that you should bring this up. I remember precisely a conversation between me and your mom and how mops thoroughly disgusted your mother. (Hi Kari!)

I agree, though. The cinderella scrub is the way to go. Although I do have stringy mop that I can put in the washing machine for those quick mop ups.


By the way, I LOVE this for a valentines post.
Nothing like mopping the floor for a little foreplay. (that's a note for Matt)

Kleanteeth said...

Enter sarcasm font. Well, Suzie, most of us mop with our clothes on:) But that's something to try.

Tamra said...

My favorite for a thorough mop is the good ole fashioned towel. For a quickie We have a swiffer-style mop that has a terri cloth cover that can go in the wash.

Suzie said...

Hi Kel

I got the baptism towels at Target when they were on sale for $2. then I found a nice lady that was willing to do the embroidery for next to nothing.
I did find a real place that was going to do them for $3 each. But that was for a smaller font.
hope that helps!

Jessica said...

Read my cousin's review on her new mop, I want to get one of these! http://texasyoungs.blogspot.com/2008/02/moms-new-best-friend.html