So on Saturday night Matt and I went on a date to the Nutcracker (his idea, seriously). He said he's always wanted to see the Nutcracker and well, now we have. Cross that off my list of things to do and add it to my list of things never to do again. Here's how the ranking goes in my mind:Worst fine art exhibitions to endure:
1. Opera-this must be what Outer Darkness is like
2. Symphony-I have no musical talent and thus am unjustly jealous of those who do and therefore cannot appreciate their art. (This being said, it makes all those symphony concerts of Marcie's that I went to that much more special. It means I really must love you).
3. Ballet-This ranks in as number three simply because at least there's something to look at while the music is going on.
After viewing the St. Louis ballets performance of The Nutcracker on Saturday night, my list remains unchanged (although I'm considering moving interpretive dance into my top three, just because it's so weird). Honestly though, the Nutcracker did have brief moments that were really great, but those moments were ruined when instead of lasting 1 minute like they should have, the dancers danced on and on for like 10 minutes doing what looked like the exact same things over and over again! It didn't help that our seats were terrible and that a huge group of gangster looking people came in 20 minutes late and totally blocked our view while they took their sweet time finding their seats, and then left 20 minutes early, once again pausing in front of us for who knows what reason!
The greatest part about the ballet was that it was a night out on the town and that it was Matt's idea. So despite the fact that I'd rather have been watching the football game or at a basketball game, Matt still scores lot of points for taking the initiative to put this thing together for us. It just makes me wonder...how well does he really know me if he thought The Nutcracker was my type of thing?
.jpg)
11 comments:
You are WAY too funny!!
What?! All those Symphony concerts you went to and didn't enjoy them?!!!
I guess you must love me... I'm deeply touched... that and highly entertained with your synopsis. ;)
wow, no shame in the game. matt must havalle thick skin if he reads this and still talks to you tonight!!! j/k. did he enjoy it at all?
So, you aren't signing Jenna up for ballet any time soon?
Maybe he thought you guys needed more culture in your life. Not my cup of tea too. Men in tights just look weird. I like a little left to the imagination.
oh, Kel. You are Truly Hilarious.
My dad brought me to the ballet every chance he got. Opera, symphonies, etc. All were a part of my life growing up.
I have failed to do that to my kids.
I'm a NICE mom. I'll have to remind them.
I HATE the Nutcracker too, when I was little the only thing i liked was the Mamma Baffoon - the rest of it was PURE torture to me too!
LOL- I am totally with you on that one!
Have you no "cultural imagination"? ;) (Kel- ask Matt about that if you don't get the reference)
I love the Nutcracker, Symphonies, Opera(some). You just need a little cultural education and imagination to enjoy them.
p.s. I just had a Christmas concert last night w/ Jenny Oaks-Baker as soloist and there were even some dancers for a few numbers! Too bad you missed it Kel. :)
I guess another word for "culture" is "BORING". I'm with Kristi; leave a little to the imagination!
If I even mention Nutcracker, Phillip puts his hand to his head like he's shooting himself. Way to go Matt for arranging a date though. Your an awesome wife for loving sports more than ballet.
Post a Comment